Sunday 9 October 2011

Daydreaming

"Birches" from the Snow is in the Air collection

I’ve been planning my future crafting empire this evening (one of favourite hobbies) and finding lots of inspiration from the gorgeous Selvedge Magazine. The trouble I have always had is trying to settle on one particular craft. I am (like many others) like a bee busily flitting from one tempting morsel to the next.  My current favourite is card making, using fabrics, buttons, stamping and freehand embroidery. But I would LOVE to venture into letterpress….and the machine I need is this little beauty..

The Adana printing press. Check out www.annafewster.co.uk for some inspiring and lovely images or the letterpress technique. Only trouble with my love is getting hold of a machine! They cost anything up to £500 so it may take me a while.
Well, that’s what dreaming is about, thinking of all the thing I would/could do if i had the time, money and inclination!
Do any of you crafty folk dabble with letterpress…?   What do you daydream about..go on tell me! xxx

6 comments:

  1. I love letterpress designs.
    I only did screen printing, mono and etching at college (many moons ago!)
    Hope your piggy bank pays up soon
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean - I totally daydream all the time about being able to give up my day job and craft at home full time with a house full of dogs and maybe a couple of kids :) big dreams. Maybe one day! Hope you manage to get your paws on a letterpress soon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks mrs cheese and jo! I am scheming away and watching ebay intent on grabbing a letterpress bargain...somehow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am lucky enough to have the contents of what was a small table top printing studio, but sadly haven't enough space to use it properly yet - I picked it all up for a hundred quid three years ago, and when we move next year I mean to have a proper dedicated space for it all and hopefully do little courses, as I've got about 7 standard sized Adanas.
    Regarding the 'flitting' thing - if you do want to make it work as a business, then you do have to knuckle down and treat it as a proper job, but with time, it is possible to get a routine going where you can do various things - I can now fit lino printing in with needle felting, painting and sewing, and make a living at it, as well as free lance illustration work. But I do work 5-6 days a week and it's taken me many years to get to this stage. Hang on in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this so timely. Of course you can have a print, did you spot my error??
    D xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh Gretel £100 for a printing stuff sounds like a super bargain, bet you can't wait to get it all set up in your studio! Its good to know that you can make a living from doing things that uyou enjoy and such a variety too, your work is beautiful by the way! love your felted hare, he's gorgeous! My first attempt at felting was so hideous that I havent got back to it since!

    Dawn, thankyou! It will fit perfectly in my 'soon be be' studio space (which is in fact our living room..ahem!! Our house is so small...Ive got beads and buttons coming out of my ears! I havent spotted the error...i'm so curious now, am I missing some glaring spelling mistake or something!?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...